Thursday, July 23, 2009

The joy of wedding planning?

I am a planner. I love to organize things - I find it therapeutic. I hate surprises. I am, nor ever will be, a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl. BUT, for the most part, I've been pretty laid back about this whole wedding thing. There have been moments (like July 7th when I realized I only had 4 months to go, and I ended up staying up until 4 a.m. addressing wedding invitations), but, so far, I have been relatively calm. Even though said invitations crippled my hands for days (cutting down cardstock is not easy, neither is embossing, but I am pleased with the final product, and that's all that counts).

Until today. Today is a rainy, blah kind of day, and maybe that's affecting my mood more than I care to let on, but I feel like I'm in a funk. It's not that I'm in a panic, or worried, or stressed, I'm just... in one of those blah kinds of moods. For example, it has been WEEKS since Daryl and I finalized the guest list, and everything was A-okay. We had whittled it down (his mom has a very large family - like 10 siblings), so we had to cut people out. We compromised, we recompromised, we whittled, we argued, compromised once again, and then finalized. And yet I know, am absolutely certain, that there will still be hurt feeling about who is/is not invited (especially on my side of the list). I know, rationally, and realistically that there was just NO WAY I could invite everyone I wanted to, so I cut... and then cut again, and then shrugged it off, and cut some more (then I snuck a couple people back on... and then cut it again). Now I'm sad. I don't want people to be offended, but on the other hand, I can't help it.

Then there is my other worry, photography. I know so many skilled and talented people, but we decided to book a location where our photographer is included in our package. Sure, they're reputable, and I'm sure the photos will be lovely, but I wish we could hire someone personal, who would take the candids, the fun "behind the scenes" shots... and sure, we'll likely get a few of those, but this photographer is #1) not staying for the reception, and therefore doing POSED cake cutting/first dance photos (um... yuck???) and #2) only includes approximately 80 proofs in the package. I wanted to upgrade, but, I am pretty set on keeping to the budget (which is already kind of bursting at the seams a bit). Is it rude to ask guests/friends/family who you know are talented in that field to come (early) just to do special photos for you? Yes. Do I want to do it anyway? Yes. Am I going to? No... but on a funky day like today, I am seriously considering it.

My planning personality is taunting my sanity. I don't have shoes (yet), gotta get on that. A bridesmaid and groomsman have requested to DO something for the wedding (so far, it's all been Daryl & I... and immediate families), so I've given them duties. They are to a) help us make the 'bathroom baskets', and b) help me make the drink tickets (yes, we're doing drink tickets... we're tacky, but I personally, don't like open bars, and really, think that paying for people's dinner, wine, and a couple drinks, is suffice, n'est pas? Hello etiquette hell, I have been a bad hostess). Also, grammar police? Please be kind.

On the bright side, want to see my flip flop basket (for the reception guests who wear pinchey shoes)? Voila:
Ten more things we need to do? 1) Finish buying/making the bridal party gifts (we're halfway there), 2) figure out what we're going to give our parents, 3) finalize must-have photos list, 4) finalize our music 'deets' (please don't ask why I regress into a highschool reject at times - at least I didn't call you homie... wurd) for the DJ, 5) figure out the menu for the rehearsal dinner/day after brunch, 6) engagement photos, 7) decide on tux styles, 8) pick up wheat the my FIL cut for us and make the centrepieces, 9) win the lottery, 10) survive camping for my birthday/the long weekend.
Today's mantra:

Destination wedding? What we should have done. Elopement? Would have been even better.
*
**
***
****
***
**
*
If anyone wanted to see, this is the cake topper (minus the background, because it was in the oven). The finished product won't be posted until after the wedding.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I know someone who might be able to help with photography. :)

Really. If there is anything you want... I am no professional, but I would be happy to do what I can. Just let me know.